Generally, during your initial visit to a dentist or a re-visit after a prolonged absence, the dentist will perform a comprehensive dental examination. This will include collecting information on the status of your oral health, eating, drinking or other habits affecting oral health. The dentist or a hygeinist will perform a regular dental examination including the following:
- Checking the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- Dental X-rays will be used for detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
- All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments.
- Check the conditions of current fillings, crowns, etc.
- Screening for oral cancer
Professional Dental Cleaning
Professional dental cleanings (dental prophylaxis) are usually performed by Registered Dental Hygienists. Your cleaning appointment will include a dental exam and the following:
- Removal of calculus (tartar)
- Removal of plaque
- Polish the teeth to remove any stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling at the dental office.